The consequences of a telephone theft can be far more serious than an exploding mobile phone bill. Our devices are indeed more and more advanced and now contain a colossal amount of personal information, which can be a gold mine if a malicious person gets their hands on it. LesMobiles.com will explain to you what steps to take in the event of theft, and the precautions to take to prevent this from happening again.
Stolen telephone: immediate steps
Here are the immediate steps to take if your phone is stolen:
- Inform your operator of this phone theft to block your line.
- File a complaint with the nearest gendarmerie or police station, indicating the IMEI number of the telephone. This number (consisting of 15 to 17 digits) is generally written on the telephone box and on the terminal itself (under the battery in most cases). It can also be obtained by dialing * # 06 # on the keypad of your phone. The police will then send a copy of the report to your operator, which will have the direct consequence of blocking your phone throughout French territory with all operators.
- If you have insurance for this phone, report your theft to your insurer as soon as possible.
- Finally, change all your passwords (e-mail accounts, Facebook, Apple ID, etc.) to be sure that no one has access to your personal data.
Stolen phone: how to find it?
If you’ve just had your phone stolen, you may still be able to find it. But still it is necessary that you have taken your precautions before by configuring an application or a service allowing to locate your phone. Most manufacturers offer this solution, which will also allow it to be locked remotely, to make it ring (even if it is in silent mode), to display a personalized message on the home screen, or to ” erase all your data.
To find out all about telephone localization, we advise you to consult our file to find out what steps to take in the event of a lost telephone.
Telephone theft: precautions to take
There are several precautions you can take to avoid getting your phone stolen. In particular, be careful not to attract the attention of thieves by leaving your phone in evidence, whether on the table of a cafe, on the dashboard of a car, or in the outside pocket of a bag. Also beware of pickpockets on public transport or in queues. Finally, be careful not to lend your phone to a stranger.
There are also a few precautions you can take that can make your job easier if your phone is stolen:
- Write down your IMEI and save it (on your computer for example), to be sure you can find it quickly.
- Personalize the PIN code of your phone, and the lock scheme if you have a smartphone.
- Configure one of the services listed in our article on phone loss. As we mentioned above, these will allow you to locate your phone, but also to erase all your personal data in the event of theft.
If you have any questions about your phone theft, please ask in the comments or go to our forum.